Become "Knights of the Blind in the crusade against darkness"... that was Helen Kellar's plea to the Lions Club International Convention in Cedar Point, OH. Since that call to action, the Lions remain committed to assisting the blind and visually impaired and to help prevent blindness through vision care, rehabilitation, and research.
In the beginning years, WV Lions raised funds to pay for transportation and hospital cost for eye surgeries performed on children from the WV School for the Blind in Romney, WV. From this need, the West Virginia Lions Sight Conservation Foundation (WVLSCF) was chartered in 1959. It's purpose was then and remains dedicated to meeting the sight and hearing needs of the citizens of West Virginia.
Partnership with WVU Eye Institute
Our mission is to provide sight, hearing, and low vision services to all West Virginians in need.
Our vision for the future is to be the premier provider of sight preservation services and low vision services for West Virginians where no other means of assistance exits. We envision an environment where no deserving and qualified individual goes without needed help.
WVLSCF began their relationship with WVU in 1961 with a donation to equip one room of the four room eye clinic. That led the way to a collaboration between the WV Lions, Lions Club International, and what was then the WVU Eye Center to fund the construction of the WVU Eye Institute which houses the WVU Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences.